Circa 1756 Elevation Of Versailles
Built by decree of Louis XIV, King of France, on the site of his predecessor's hunting lodge, the Palace of Versailles is a wonder of architecture and engineering – a lavish complex of apartments, government offices and grand halls surrounded by fountains and formal gardens. This rendering of the north wing by Jacques-Francois Blondel, noted professor and architect to Louis XV, was published in Architecture Francoise – Volume IV in 1756. It shows the royal chapel on the right and the royal apartments to the left. The astounding detail and precision of the original rendering are magnified by our grand-scale reproduction.